Monday, June 3, 2013

The Rancher's Daughter Quilt Along Week 19 (Oh Brother Where Art Thou?) Block Tutorial)

Happy Good Morning Monday to all my Quilting Buddies out there today!!

Are you ready for another block??



I'm sure  you all are caught up
and waiting with abated breath!! 

So let's get to work!
I will tell you the story at the end...

Cutting Instructions:
A Cut (24) 1½" X 1½" Squares (Off White)
B Cut (9) 1½" X 1½"  Squares( Red and Off White Polka Dot)
C Cut (9) 1½" X 1½" Squares(Red)
 D Cut (9) 1½" X 1½" Squares(Green)
 E Cut (9) 1½" X 1½" Squares(Yellow)

 Make  (6) A/B Half Square Triangles
Make  (6) A/C Half Square Triangles
Make  (6) A/D Half Square Triangles 
Make  (6) A/E Half Squares Triangles


Layout Block:

Sew Rows 1 and 2 together,
Sew Rows 3 and 4 together,
Sew Rows 5 and 6 together:
Can you see my mistake here?
If you don't cut your sewing apart, and just lay Row 3/4 on top of Row 1/2 and pin it, they stay nicely together and don't get twisted!

Sew Row 1/2 unit to Row 3/4 unit,
Sew Row 3/4 unit to Row 5/6 unit:
See my mistake yet?? I still hadn't!

Aha...caught the mistake:
Rip out!
Resew!

Sew all 3 sets of rows together:
 And one more block done!!

Okay, here's the scoop!

There were 3 girls and 1 boy in our family.
Yep, he was the oldest and a pain in the patootie!

One day The Rancher and his wife, had to go out of town,
and left big brother in charge.
(First mistake in my opinion!)
But he was 18, responsible, smart, level headed....
wait a minute...
this is my brother we're talking about!
(Love you Ted!)

He didn't think us girls were treating him right,
so he took one of dad's gun's out of the gun case,
(made sure we were watching)
went outside where we couldn't see him,
and fired a shot!



                                       Us girls came running out of the house
scared out of our wits.
He was laying all funny on the ground.
We started bawling, fawning over him,
telling him we were so sorry,
and that he was the best brother in the world.

He gets up...after his faking and says,
"Thought so!"

Now we were madder than hell at him!!


 Ahhhh....big brothers!


I'm going to leave with a picture of my little helper this week.
Grandma got to keep him for 2 nights while mama and daddy went out of town!


 
Baby Kash amongst The Rancher's Daughter Quilt  blocks!
Happy, Happy Quilting!!

10 comments:

  1. What a story! How long before you forgave him for that stunt? : )
    As you know, I am only doing two blocks a month, and last months are still on design boards waiting to be sewn together.
    We'll see whether I get them done in time to do this one, or if just pick up next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you possibly get to any sewing with Baby Kash visiting? Cute story and love the name you selected for Block 19! Looks like The Rancher's Daughter Quilt is a holiday quilt in the making.... Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Indeed! These blocks are fantastic with amazing colors I like your choice of color and I am sure you will keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! What a relief....:)......lovely block and funny story...I'm an only child so I can't really relate...but hubby has 11 siblings...he thought it was VERY funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your color choice for the fabrics. Very lovely block. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This block is great - to me it looks like 4 fish.
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi John'aLee!!! I haven't talked to you in a long while *hanging head in shame*. I used to call myself "the other Utah girl" or something close to that, when I would write to you, LOL. I saw your comment on the Jenny's DaisyDays blog. Thank you so much for your sweet remarks. I know we never met when you had your quilt shop in Panguitch, even we went through there often enough and even stayed often enough. But I didn't start quilting until just five years ago, when my health finally prevented me from doing the intricate needlework that I had done all my life. After the two grandsons we were raising grew up and found their own lives and their mother found her own place, I was not sad to be an empty nester, but...I was so bored with only reading in my spare time. I wanted to create! My hubby could see what was going on and he surprised me by bringing my sewing machine home from the storage shed where it moved when the two young grandsons moved in with their mom, and had resided for the following 13 years. I didn't have anyone to sew clothing for anymore, I'm a tee shirt and sweats or flannel PJ's girl and have been for quite a while now, except when we go somewhere. So my sis in law was here one day and I asked her what I was going to sew, her response was immediate "Let's learn to make quilts". I was there in a heartbeat and neither of us has stopped (except when I've had surgeries and down times with my health). Anyway, my favorites all got deleted from our computer when our internet provider changed and trying to rebuild it was not easy and some of my old favs were lost, your blog included. I was so happy to see your name in the comments today. So, I'm going to give you the link to my Flicker page. There isn't much there, but most of the things I have done and am working on. Are you doing Jenny's Daisy Days BOM? I'm really enjoying it, though my hands make me a slow stitcher. Very slow, LOL. Anyway, here's the link, if you want to check it out ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/stitched_with_prayer/
    ...It looks like your hosting a gorgeous QAL yourself!
    Okay, so I have to ask a question about that beautiful little guy in the picture...did Tory find love again after losing her fiance' in Afghanistan so tragically? Oh how I hope and pray she did. See, I lost my favorites shortly after learning about Chris's passing, then if I remember right, his father passed away too, not too long after. I pray I'm not opening any wounds by asking, if so, please forgive me and tell me to mind my own business...really, I mean it! I just need to get caught up. Gosh I've missed your blog and our emails. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking quilt blocks! I haven't been by for a visit in ever so long. Look at that Grandbaby!! What a sweetheart!
    I'm doing some quilting for clients now under the name, 'Farmhouse Quilts" My current quilt is being worked in these very colors as requested by my client. I do love them! Hope you are doing well.
    Blessings
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely block, nice choice of colours - very fresh. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your blog post! Good stuff; adorable baby!
    Karmen

    ReplyDelete