Friday, June 4, 2010

Future Quilter's of America

When we were about this age...maybe a little older, we would go to a church convention every year. And us girls would all get together and make up "Speaking Lists" of the Future Workers of America. We would decide which minister would be with which companion using all of our friends in our arsenal. No one wanted to be on this list....every girl was planning on getting married! It was dooms day to find your name as a future speaker. Seeing that our ministers go out two by two still to this day, and leave all to preach the gospel just as in Jesus day. They do not get married, do not have a home, no children. Truly they give their lives to preach the gospel and find lost souls.

This memory came to me last night as I was thinking about posting the pictures of my granddaughters and trying to teach them how to quilt at a young age. And really now...aren't they truly....The Future Quilters of America. It is they who need to carry on this amazing tradition, that binds us with them, and with their fore mothers. Oh the stories to be told!

This is Emily my grand daughter who is 5 (above), wearing grandma's sandals in my sewing room while her mother and I  are trying to get some quilting done.
Now little sister, Kiera is wearing grandma's shoes, and mom is trying oh so hard to get them to sit and be quiet so we can sit and quilt!   

Emily's first hand sewing project. I cut out squares for her to hand sew. We leave all the pieces in the third drawer of the buffet, with needle, needle threader and thread, so every time she comes she knows right where to find her project.

                                                                                         None of my girls are interested in sewing....so I am determined to get the next generation started early. I wonder if my kids remember the hard times when they were growing up in Texas and I was always frantically working to all hours of the morning down in the basement making drapes, pillows etc for my customers to put food on the table. At the time I didn't know that all of the money my then husband was making was going to his high society cocaine habit. ...hmmmm...maybe this is why they aren't interested. It wasn't good memories for them!!  Thankfully my darling daughter in law Melissa and I share many memories of Quilt Nights together sewing away!!
You all have a blessed day. Remember....one stitch at a time!
Hugs,
John'aLee                                           

5 comments:

  1. What a great tradition to start with grandchildren. My girls aren't very interested in sewing either although they were in 4-H when they were young. I love your sequence pictures. Besides the wonderful memories it is something they will never, ever forget. Go! Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely blog! The story about teaching your g'children to quilt is priceless and touching... glad you shared it. There are many of 'us' out here with daughters that aren't into sewing/quilting, but there's always hope for the next generation. lol. Like you, I believe passing our skills on is very important.
    Thank you again for visiting my blog and leaving such a sweet message. It is such a blessing to meet so many like-minded and kind people via the Net...
    Keep on quilting,
    Hugs,
    Cyn; -)
    www.CynsQuiltedTravels.blogspot.comn

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooopsy, just rec'd a note from the "mail demon" that the private email I just sent you "failed". Perhaps the link was misstyped??
    Please know that I tried to write you back...
    Hugs,
    Cyn; -)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish someone had tried to teach me some artistic crafts at that age. I feel I have blundered through it all on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John'alee,

    I thought that I had the correct e-mail address for you and I sent two replies. Please post on my blog again and I could try again if you haven't picked someone else. Sorry!

    Karen

    ReplyDelete