Sunday, August 15, 2010

A week away to play....

Last week when my son and son-in-law came up for the day...
I had no idea
we would be heading back to their home
with them in St George to stay 11 days.
I have never in my life stayed 11 days with anybody!
Dad drilled it in to us kids growing up...
"People are like 'fish'...after 3 days
they start stinking!"
And it has stuck!
So this is a milestone.
I was so afraid we were staying too long...
but each day my son, asked us if we could  stay
just one more day...
until it became 9...then 10...then 11.
He was swamped with work...
and seeing we didn't have any 'shows' planned...
the dear sweet hubby of mine...
went down to help.
He appreciated the work too.
This morning as I was changing our sheets and scrubbing 
the bathroom for my daughter-in-law...
it was her...who eased my mind...
 maybe we weren't being considered
like fish.
This is what she said to me...
"I really hope you don't feel like you have worn
out your welcome.
You actually have inspired me...
I have done more sewing in the last 8 days...
than I have in the whole last year.
(I was working on my embroidery Mystery BOM
every day without fail. Sitting on the couch...
Sitting outside while the kids swam...
sitting on the bench up in the pines where 
we all went one afternoon.)


I had no idea I was being 
inspirational...
I was just desperately trying
to get it done! People are chomping at the
bit to get their first block.)
You also inspired me to cook again. I've gotten in a rut
of just picking up something quick.
One of the nights, she was up every
hour and a half with the baby...
When I got up the next morning...
she looked so tired...
it took me back to my "Texas" days...
of raising 4 little ones...
feeling like I was going to be
tired...
the rest of my life!
SO.....
I asked myself....
"What can I do to help?"
I told her I was going to make dinner for everyone
that night to give her a break.
Fried Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Broccoli Salad,
Homemade Biscuits.
It was good....
if I must say so myself.
But...did she sit on the couch and wait to be served?
Oh no....not Melissa....
she was in the kitchen the whole time helping!
And assured me ...
"Really it has been good to have you here."
She said it with such sincerity...what's a gal
to do? 
It sure sounded better than the thought of....
stinky fish!!

My darling little grand daughter Emily
helped me wind my embroidery threads
onto cards.
She saw me working on my embroidery sketches...
and she wanted to sketch.
So I had her go and get her uncle Heston's
cartoon drawing off the fridge...
and set her to work.
I have to share a few other pictures from the week...
My newest grandson...baby Heston
Ashley teaching baby about her love of the piano.
My two littlest...grand boys.
My two grand girls...
The gang!
We really do love each other...


Today around 4 p.m. 
I was sitting at Barnes and Noble...
and once again the 'boys' found me.
"Oh good... I was just thinking about you guys...
and how wonderful it was going to be...
to have you watch all the kids tonight...
when I take the girls out to a movie!"
"Not me!"  My son said emphatically.
"Yes you, darling!" I said sweetly
But he wasn't having any of it.

"Now son...you have a gold mine in that
wife of yours!
I know she doesn't complain...
but she needs a break once in awhile too!
She will get burned out...
giving, giving all the time..."
"I know you guys are tired from painting all day,
but I'm sure Ken will help....'Won't you hon'?"
I turn to him and ask pleadingly with my eyes.
The champ he is ... he agrees.

One thing about my son....
he may not always agree with me...
but I must say...
he does 'THINK' about what I say...
and usually comes around.

I'm kind of feeling guilty as I write this right now...
That knot head kid of mine
did stay up late last night
after working all day...
to help me with my new pattern cover.
Thank goodness I didn't think of that when they
found me at Barnes and Noble!

(In all reality I am so proud of him...
I can hardly contain myself!)

Now Heston....my son-in-law agreed readily.
He had been painting all day too.
He's such a love!

So...I took them to see...
EAT PRAY LOVE

What a great flick for 'Girl's Night Out'

Ashley, my daughter said,
"I was close to tears through the whole thing.
It really makes you think."

Melissa said, 
"Oh I want to travel!!"

And they both were so happy.
To just have a little bit of time...
without little ones vying for their attention.

We all need time to ourselves.
We all need family.
We all need to take the time to 'spend' time
with our families!
Who knows...we might think we are a 
burden...
yet...
all the while...
we are spreading blessings...
unknowingly.

Eat   Pray   Love !!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you!!! for the movie, the inspiration, the company and all the nice compliments :) love you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for coming by my blog and leaving a comment. You do such beautiful work. The quilts hanging in your booth are just lovely especially the Mistletoe one.
    I pray you get very good news from the biopsy.

    ReplyDelete