Thursday, September 22, 2011

Country Living Fair

It's time for a happy post! 
I just have to set aside some of this grief!
On the way home from the funeral in New York,
Ken was pretty tired...
so we pulled into a hotel in Columbus Ohio.

I had him drop me off at Barnes and Noble...
while he checked in.

I was tickled pink when flipping through a magazine...
I saw that the Country Living Fair was that very same weekend...
just a few miles down the road from us!

I've been wanting to attend this fair for years.

And what a treat it was!

The best Fair I've ever attended by far...

I just had to take a picture of this old Instruction Booklet
for the game of Rook...
Because that was the last picture
I ever took of Chris....
When we were all playing this game on the terrace.
We taught him how to play it ...
and he loved it!

Never before have I seen someone catch on to this game so quickly...
and not only that...
he went on to beat us all every time we played!

To see some even more fabulous pictures of this
fair...
Go Here..to October Farm
Scroll down through her last several posts!
Amazing photos..and you will get 
more of a feel what this Fair is like.


Another thing we did on the way home...
was to stop in Niagara Falls...

And there was one other neat thing we did on our trip.

The day after the viewing...
we were waiting to hear from Tory about when to meet up for the funeral...
when we decided to go and check out the Farm Sanctuary
right down the road...
 The beauty of this place was breath taking...
This is the country Chris grew up in...
by far the most beautiful part of the US I have 
ever visited...

Any of you who know me...

know...

that I LOVE goats...


This one had an injured foot and was walking around
outside of it's barn...


The Farm Sanctuary
rescues abused animals...
and gives them a place
to live out there days in 
in peace...
I never thought I'd see...

a

beautiful turkey....

but I did!

Saw some more neat goats and sheep too...

We then stopped in at Watkins Glen
to have lunch....
overlooking the lake...
before heading back for the funeral.

I always try to make the best
even out of a bad situation.

And this was my way of doing it on this trip.

A life changing trip for sure!

I want to say to all those
who took the time to leave Tory a message....
that I cried as I read each one.

You were able to say things that I couldn't...
and gave her some words of wisdom....
that I didn't have to give.

I thank you from the deepest part of my heart...
for taking precious time out of your life...
to console my little girl.

My heart...





9 comments:

  1. hi john'alee.....i hope your hearts heal soon! we travel to skaneateles often and go through watkins glen. small world. where was chris from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. John'aLee...I'm so glad there was some joy in the midst of your sorrows, and I hope God is providing some measure of peace and joy for Tory (if not yet....hopefully, soon). I am looking today for fabrics suitable to make a star block to send to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the pictures....my husband loves goats and chickens. We even had turkeys at one time. Love Niagra Falls as well....glad you were able to make lemonade....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That County Fair looks like the sort of place I'd like to spend a few hours. It was good for you to be able to take some time for yourselves in the middle of everything. I've never heard of the game of Rook - it looks interesting!
    Teresa x

    ReplyDelete
  5. O, yummy photos of the craft fair. How lucky that you were there close enough to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pics JAL...and the pumpkins and turkey..oh my...something to get excited about..love the fall and all that it serves up..
    you were but 1 hour from me when you were at the Falls...

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad that you got to enjoy this beautiful part of the US. we had dinner at the same restaurant on Saturday. Love that quilt shop and there is are a couple of neat Amish shops nearby. Our prayers to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh, this was a nice trip in spite of the sadness of it. That farm sanctuary seems very special.I have a heart for places like that. The fair looks fun too. I know the smiles were much needed, even though you smiled through tears.

    ReplyDelete