Monday, January 14, 2013

The Rancher's Daughter Quilt Along - Churn Dash Block Tutorial

This is the block I used for designing my first quilt back in 1998, so it's pretty special to me!

And it's a fun one to make!
You can see....I couldn't just stop at one!

So here goes....
The pic of the tutorial block. Sorry this isn't better...I took several but it was a rainy day out!
 
You will need:
A - (4) 2 1/2" Squares ... for outside corner half square triangles.
B - (4) 2 1/2" Squares... for outside corner half square triangles.
C- (4) 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles...for outside middle squares.
D - (4) 2 1/2" X 1 1/2" Rectangles...for outside middle squares.
E - (1) 2 1/2" Square...for center square.
 A and B Cuts
Put A and B squares right side together, draw a line diagonally down the middle. 



Chain piece through machine, stitching on line.
 Trim up to 1/4" past seam.
Press open.
Take D and C Rectangles, place wrong sides together and stitch down the length, 1/4".

Now assemble block as below:

 
 Sew the 3 left side squares together as shown below, doing the same for the middle squares and right side squares.
Then sew each of these 3 units together.
 
Wala.....
your block is complete!

Hope you enjoy!

I am going to try to post once a week on Wednesday
with a new block tutorial.

Have a great week everyone!
      

15 comments:

  1. Lovely block - the reds are so pretty. Have a fab day,
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that really happened with the book author--and apparently more than once, based on the feedback Randy received when it happened to her.
    I love churn dash blocks, and these are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love your churn dashes...that is one of my very favorite blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for this Quilt Along. Thanks for the great pictures. I am also making mine in Christmas fabrics. I have 20 blocks so far, but am looking forward to following along with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post and I love your color choices ...your quilt is going to turn out beautiful if theses squares are any indication!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous blocks! My bro lives in Nashville. :) Beautiful place. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet blocks! How's the baby?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Johna'lee,

    With regards to the name....when I used to live in the UK, a long time ago now, there was a drink, like apple cider, called Scrumpy, and whilst not an elegant sounding name, I thought the "Scrumpy Quilt a Long" would be fitting because of the name of your blog....just a suggestion!

    Hugs
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great choices for your block, I will be following your direction/suggestions on how to build these blocks.. Makes it easier for beginner quilters it makes it all make sense when someone directs, the fog clears abit. lol A new name might be a good idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. throw some apple-y fabrics into the mix and call it "appleyard"...mmmm maybe not...gotta follow the law..."scrumpy"?...noooooo...gonna be fun watching the quilt grow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Had a nice time making this one!! what page and block number was it though? I am keeping track !!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so YOU! Great tutorial, wonderful fabric choices.....miss you in P! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too like this block and you made pretty ones for sure.

    ReplyDelete